Wednesday, August 11, 2010

My babies are growing up...First day of school


My baby girl started FIRST grade and my other baby started Pre-K today. Wow, time is just flying and there is no slowing it down. It was kind of a tough day....for Halle and I anyways. They were both so excited to wake up this morning and get ready for their first day of school. Halle LOVES school, and always has. She's our child that actually cried to come home on her fist day of pre-school when she was just 2 yrs old. Today was a little different. We were both smiling and happy for the first day of school, but there was just something different in the air this morning....I could feel it. LOTS of change. Costa was his happy self.......I knew he would be fine today.

We got up, had breakfast, put on those super cute new outfits and did hair just perfect with the cute new bow to match for Halle. I, personally was missing the uniforms, they, on the otherhand were pretty excited to wear outfits they picked out that were new. I felt bad because Costa was sporting his new shoes I had bought him weeks before that he'd been begging me to wear ever since... and Halle's we had ordered online and they hadn't come yet. Darn! She was a really good sport about it, though. There's just something about having new shoes on the first day of school. I know, I'm silly. Maybe it's just because I wore a uniform pretty much everyday of my life in school so I felt like my shoes kinda showed "who I was" and my personality;) Anyways, they both looked super cute and we took lots of pictures, of course! We were really missing daddy on this special day:( It felt so weird to me, that here I was, getting the kids ready for their first day of school...in arizona. So crazy.






We got to school and I think the butterflies immediately set in for both of us. My Halle girl had her little hand in mine... gripped so tight....I could just feel the nerves. As we walked to her classroom I began to feel as though I was dropping my tiny little baby tadpole off in this big, huge, giant ocean! That's the best way for me to describe it. There were TONS of kids runing everywhere! And, they were so big! It was scary, for me, I can only imagine what she was thinking! I began to think of mexico and the school she had gone to for the last 3 years. It was tiny compared to this! I started to get super sad! I felt a pit in my stomach. NO Lex!!! Don't do this.....hormones are going crazy, get it together. Be strong for Halle, change is good, she's going to be just fine.....these are the things I kept telling myself over and over. Who would have thought three years ago that their school in mexico would be on the top for "things I am really going to miss about mexico!"

The teacher arrived at the door to welcome all her students into the classroom. We all headed in and started searching for our childs name tag on the table they were supposed to sit at. The second we got to the table I felt Halle's arms wrap tightly around my leg and I looked down and saw the tears were coming. I quickly bent down and put my arms around her and squeezed her tightly.....trying as hard as I could to fight back my own tears! I didn't want her to see me crying too! It was so hard......I kept telling her that it was so exciting to start a new school and meet new friends and that she was going to have so much fun. Inside I knew she was feeling the exact same emotions as I was......this was a hard day for us! I know it would have been hard in mexico this year because she would have been starting a new school there as well. So much change! Luckily, there was a super sweet little girl sitting across from Halle whose name was Jasmine. She kept saying to me..."I'll be her friend." "That bow that she has in her hair is really pretty." She was adorable. Thank God for Jasmine.....she really helped Halle get through that first day. It was hard to leave her, but I knew she would be ok. My brave girl. We are tough girls, I know we will get through this!

After we dropped of Halle, Cost and I headed over to his school...Christ's Greenfield. He was so happy-go-lucky and excited for his first day too! My little buddy. No tears for him! Such a boy...."bye mom!", barely a kiss goodbye.




And off they went.....my babies. I actually kinda had a bit of a lonely feeling! So many emotions, especially for my Hallers. Change is hard, but good at the same time. We knew the time would come when we would move back to the states and it would be just as big of an adjustment as it was moving to mexico. I am excited for what's to come and thankful for the journeys we have had. Here we are, back in arizona until June. And the adventure continues...

The night before the first day of school we made dinner and the kids cheered to a new school year with some sparkling juice:)

1 comment:

  1. Poor Hallers! So scary to do something new. She is so social so i am sure by now she has plenty of new friends. I can't imagine how you must have felt. Your such a good mommy! Way to stay strong for your little girl;)

    ReplyDelete